Welcome to our full review of the best hand forged axe made in the United States. Whether you’re a professional lumberjack or someone who wants to chop some firewood for your home fireplace, an American-made axe is the perfect tool for getting the job done!
From wood-splitting axes to more specialty models, there are plenty of different designs and features available depending on your needs. In this article we will discuss the top 5 options currently available, breaking down their individual strengths and weaknesses while helping you find which model would suit your specific purposes best.
What is The Hand Forged AXE?
The hand forged axe is a type of axe that has been around for centuries, made from a single piece of metal. It is designed to be incredibly durable and able to take on the toughest jobs with ease. The main benefit of a hand forged axe is its strength; most models will last several years without needing any repairs or sharpening, making them perfect for anyone who needs an axe that they can rely on over the long run.
Top 7 Best Hand Forged AXE Made In USA Review
1. Amer Felling Axe
This Amer Felling Axe is finest example of craftsmanship. Forged from 5160 grade alloy steel, the 4 pound Dayton pattern head is razor sharp and heat treated for maximum edge holding strength and toughness. The 36 inch Grade A American hickory handle is mounted in traditional style with a softwood wedge and round steel wedge for added security.
Both the axe head and handle are coated with oil to protect against rusting and showcase the natural beauty of the tool. Our most experienced artisans have hand-honed it to provide superior cutting power. All components are MADE IN USA, including a premium leather sheath with embossed logo that comes included for protection of the tool and user. This timeless heirloom axe is guaranteed to last for a lifetime, making it an ideal choice for experienced woodsmen seeking quality workmanship and performance in their tools.
• 5160 grade alloy steel
• 4 pound Dayton pattern head
• Heat treated for edge holding strength and toughness
• 36 inch Grade A American hickory handle
• Softwood wedge and round steel wedge for added security
• Hand-honed for superior cutting power
• Oil coated to protect against rust
• Premium leather sheath included
• MADE IN USA construction
• Guaranteed to last for a lifetime
2. Norse Tradesman 24″ Viking Axe
The Norse Tradesman 24″ Viking Axe is a well crafted and designed tool that draws inspiration from original Viking artifacts to create an axe that is both stylish and functional. The axe head is hand-forged and features a skegg design with a semi-razor sharp edge that has been given an excellent heat treatment to achieve a 56-58 Rockwell scale hardness.
It also has a stout shaft made from one piece of quality aged hardwood, which is one of the most durable timbers available. This particular model features 24″ teakwood handle, 6″ 1095 carbon steel axe-head, 6″ semi-sharp blade edge, 55-58 RC hardness, 2 lb total weight.
Not only will this Vikings Axe perform as expected but it adds an extra layer of beauty with the hand carved Norse Elder Futhark runes along its aging hardwood shaft. Whether you’re looking for something to use on the job or just admire in your home, this Viking axe makes for an excellent addition and will be sure to last many generations.
• Hand-forged 1095 carbon steel axe head
• Skegg design with semi-razor sharp edge
• Excellent heat treatment to achieve 56-58 Rockwell scale hardness
• Stout shaft made from one aged hardwood piece
• 24″ teakwood handle
• Hand carved Norse Elder Futhark runes
• 2 lb total weight
• MADE IN USA construction
• Guaranteed to last many generations
3. Council Tool Jersey Classic with Forged Bevels
The Council Tool Jersey Classic with Forged Bevels is the perfect tool for a multitude of outdoor tasks. With its 3.5 lb weight and 32 inch curved wooden handle, it’s ideal for cutting and splitting firewood or other tough tasks. The axe head is forged by hand from natural steel with a cutting edge coated in clear lacquer to deter rust, and is hydraulically seated onto the handle to ensure maximum strength when striking a surface. For an added security measure, a serrated aluminum wedge is used to further secure the blade to the shaft.
The interior detail of the eye is tapered to reinforce the mechanical bond, making this an incredibly durable and reliable tool that can tackle any job. Whether you’re chopping wood or splitting logs, the Council Tool Jersey Classic with Forged Bevels will be your go-to accessory for years to come.
• 3.5 lb weight
• 32 inch curved wooden handle for increased torque and leverage
• Hand-forged natural steel axe head with clear lacquer coating to deter rust
• Hydraulically seated axe head onto the handle for maximum strength when striking a surface
• Serrated aluminum wedge for added security and reinforcement
• Tapered eye detail reinforces the mechanical bond
• Durable and reliable design perfect for cutting, splitting, and other tough jobs.
4. SHINY CRAFTS Viking Axe Real Hatchet
Introducing SHINY CRAFTS Viking Axe! This high-quality axe is crafted with 1095 Carbon Steel and a Rosewood handle that makes it balanced and easy to grip. It has a semi-sharp edge with heat treatment that reaches up to 55-58 Rockwell scale hardness, making it fully functional as the perfect battle hatchet.
You can utilize it to easily cut stuff when camping or for outdoor climbing by using its 6-inch long blade. It also comes with a leather sheath cover that protects you from the sharp edge as well as from any possible damage or harm. Get your SHINY CRAFTS Viking Axe now and make it the perfect companion for exploration, camping and other outdoor activities!
• 1095 Carbon Steel construction
• Rosewood handle and leather sheath cover
• Semi-sharp edge with 55-58 Rockwell scale hardness
• 6-inch long blade for easy cutting
• Lightweight and balanced design for better grip control
• Leather sheath cover for safe and secure storage
• MADE IN USA construction
• Guaranteed to last for a lifetime of use.
5. PAL 2000 KNIVES Axe – Custom Handmade High Carbon Steel Viking Axe
Introducing the PAL 2000 KNIVES Axe, a custom handmade high carbon steel Viking axe made to perfection. This axe features an overall length of 20 inches and cutting edge of 5 inches, so you can make efficient contact while felling trees and chopping multiple sizes of logs.
Its stylish handle is constructed from rose wood with amazing art designs, making it as beautiful to look as it is effective. The hand forged stainless steel also ensures superior durability and comes complete with a handmade leather sheath for safe storage. Try out the PAL 2000 KNIVES Axe today and take advantage of its unique design and gorgeous wood handle for your next woodworking project!
• Overall Length of 20 inches
• 5 inch cutting edge for efficient contact
• Hand-forged stainless steel construction
• Stylish rosewood handle with amazing art designs
• Handmade leather sheath for safe storage
• Durable and lightweight design for portability.
6. NedFoss 15″ Hatchet, Chopping Axes and Hatchets for Wood Splitting and Kindling
The NedFoss 15″ Hatchet is the perfect companion for gardening, woodwork and outdoor activities. The axe head is made of heat-treated and quenched high carbon steel with an optimized handle geometry for an ergonomic and natural grip.
This helps to reduce fatigue in your wrist and forearm as you continue to use it. The handle is made of beech wood for a firm grip, with double steel rings so that the head and handle become one unit. For added protection, this hatchet also comes with a precision stitched leather sheath that gives it an authentic look and feel while protecting the blade. With its sharp blade and sturdy design, it’s perfect for chopping firewood, tree trunks, kindling and branches.
Get your NedFoss 15″ Hatchet now and take it with you for any outdoor activities!
• Heat-treated and quenched high carbon steel axe head
• Ergonomic handle geometry for a natural grip
• Beech wood handle with double steel rings to unit head and handle together
• Includes precision stitched leather sheath for added protection
• Perfect for chopping firewood, tree trunks, kindling and branches
• Sharp blade and durable construction.
7. BeaverCraft Carving Axe Hand Forged Hatchet with Sheath
The BeaverCraft Carving Axe Hand Forged Hatchet is a professional-grade tool that is perfect for various woodworking and carpentry purposes. Constructed from top-quality materials, the axe head is made of advanced hardened carbon steel and the handle is crafted from ash wood and waxed with linseed oil to prevent slipping. The blade is razor sharp, making it ideal for efficient chopping, carving, and other woodworking techniques.
It has a perfect balance between handle and blade for comfortable, efficient, and safe work so you can create beautiful kuksas or sculptures with ease. Plus, the genuine leather sheath will protect the blade during storage and carrying. Perfect for any level crafter or carpenter, this hatchet will help you create beautiful wooden products in no time!
• Hand forged advanced hardened carbon steel axe head
• Ash wood handle with linseed oil wax to prevent slipping
• Razor sharp blade for efficient chopping, carving and other techniques
• Perfect balanced between handle and blade for comfortable, safe work
• Genuine leather sheath for protection when carrying or storing
Factors to Consider Before Buying an Axe
• Quality of the material: The quality of the material used for constructing both the head and handle is a very important factor to consider. High-quality materials provide superior durability and performance while ensuring longevity.
• Size and shape of blade/head: Different sizes and shapes are available for different tasks, so it’s important to choose the one that best suits your needs.
• Handle design and materials: The handle should be designed to provide a comfortable grip while still being sturdy enough to support the weight of the axe head. Also, certain types of wood or other materials are better for providing a secure grip during use.
• Weight: An axe should be lightweight enough to use for long periods without getting tired or straining your arms and shoulders.
• Price: Depending on the quality of construction and materials used, prices can vary greatly. It’s important to find an axe that is within your budget while still providing good performance.
• Type of use: There are a variety of axes available for different uses, so make sure to choose one suited for the type of work you’ll be doing.
• Brand reputation: It is important to purchase an axe from a reputable brand with good customer reviews to ensure that it will perform well and last a long time.
Pros and Cons of Hand Forged AXE
• High-quality materials used for construction ensures superior performance and superior durability.
• Perfect balance between handle and blade for comfortable, efficient, and safe work.
• Gives a classic look to your project due to its traditional forging process.
• Razor sharp blade for efficient chopping, carving and other techniques.
• Limited variety of sizes and shapes available depending on the type of job required.
• Higher price point due to the quality materials used in construction.
Tips to Use and Maintain an Axe
• Always use appropriate safety equipment when working with an axe. Wear eye protection and gloves to protect your hands from splinters or accidental cuts.
• Before each use, inspect the blade for sharpness and wear, as well as the handle for any signs of cracking or damage.
• Store your axe in a cool, dry place to prevent rusting and wear.
• Always keep the axe blade clean by wiping it down after each use. You can also apply a thin layer of oil or wax occasionally to protect the blade from corrosion.
• If you find that the handle has become loose, use wood glue or epoxy resin to secure it in place.
• Have your axe professionally sharpened every few months to ensure optimal performance and safety.
• Make sure to use the right techniques when using an axe, such as keeping your grip steady and ensuring that your body is in a good position for efficient work. This will help you avoid fatigue or injury.
• Never use a dull axe, as it can cause accidents and injuries.
• It is important to take care of your axe by regularly cleaning and maintaining it to keep it in top condition. This will ensure that you get the most out of your tool for many years to come.
How were axes forged?
Axe heads were traditionally forged by heating a piece of metal until it was malleable. This allowed the blacksmith to shape the head using hammers and anvils. The handle could then be attached separately or directly onto the blade.
What is the difference between a hand-forged axe and machine-made axe?
Hand-forged axes are made by experienced blacksmiths and tend to be of a higher quality, using strong steel alloys. They have a more classic look and often feature intricate designs. On the other hand, machine-made axes are mass produced, making them much cheaper but also less durable than their hand-forged counterparts.
What is the best type of wood for an axe handle?
Hickory and ash are two of the most commonly used woods for axe handles due to their strength and flexibility. They are also able to absorb shock well, making them more comfortable in use. Maple is also a popular choice as it offers excellent durability and grip.
Are there any special techniques to use when using an axe?
Yes, it is important to use the correct technique when using an axe. The most important factor is to keep your grip steady so that you are able to control the axe accurately. You should also maintain good posture and keep your body in line with the target for efficient work. Additionally, it is important to keep a sharp edge on the blade for safe and efficient use.
How long does it take to hand forge a axe?
The amount of time needed to hand forge an axe can depend on the size, shape, and design desired. Generally, it can take between one and four hours to complete a single piece. However, if more complex designs or larger sizes are requested, it may take up to eight hours or longer.
Why were hand axes made?
Hand axes were made to help humans with tasks such as cutting wood and carving tools. They provided a much more efficient method of performing these tasks than using sticks or stones. Hand axes evolved over time to become sharper, stronger, and better suited for the task at hand. Today, hand axes are used mainly for chopping wood and other materials.
What is the most important safety precaution when using an axe?
The most important safety precaution when using an axe is to always keep a sharp edge on the blade. Dull blades can cause accidents and injuries due to slipping or lack of control, so it’s essential that they are regularly maintained and sharpened. Additionally, you should always wear the appropriate protective gear such as gloves, eye protection, and a face mask to help protect yourself from any splinters or flying debris.
Frankie Jenkins is a pioneering mechanical engineer with a passion for patriotic American products. He has dedicated his career to advocating for their creation and use, and has written extensively on the subject in magazines across the country.